Thursday, May 27, 2010

Differences can be lonely

I see diversity every day, just by leaving my house.  Even in a small town where you wouldn't expect to see such differences in people, I am amazed.

As fodder for my blog, last week, I decided to ask the women in my office, what sorts of things interest them.  The results were astonishing.  There wasn't a single same answer on the lists.  More surprisingly is they each had a list of interests without a single thing on it that in which I am interested.  How crazy is it that we all work for the same company, we all see each other every day and yet we have nothing in common.  If I didn't have such wonderful family and friends already, I would be disheartened with this fact.

It brings to light just how tough it is to live in a world of such great differences.  It makes it ever so much clearer, to me, why there are companies like Match and eHarmony.  How in the world do people find other people like them?  I am so lucky to have a partner in my life.  I wouldn't even know where to start to find a date.  I would even know how to go about making new friends.  It makes me think, differences can be very lonely.

No comments: