Wednesday, November 3, 2010

No Taxation without Representation

We had our mid-term elections last night.  The whole campaign process is likely to turn anybody off to voting all together!  Advertisements are geared toward the lowest common denominator, the "idiot" voter.  They are mean, ugly, self-centered and all are flat-out liars.  I commend the Gubernatorial candidates in my state.  I didn't hear/see/witness a single negative ad during the entire process.  And you know what, a clean campaign has the same result.  There is a winner and there are losers.  


I am excited about the Tea Party Movement.  I love that people have broken from their party and have spoken up against the corruption that has become our Government.  This is what makes our country great!  We have the choice.  I don't vote party line and I didn't vote for every Tea Party candidate put on my state's ballot just "because" I believe in the movement.  I am NOT the lowest common denominator, as a voting citizen.  I value my civic duty.  I respect that it is my job to educate myself, research as much information as I can obtain and make as educated a choice as I can, based on my beliefs in smaller government, fiscal conservatism and social reform.  But, media outlets don't help in this endeavor.  I have yet to find an outlet that is fair and unbiased, even though, some claim to be.  Our local newspaper had a full page spread on all the candidates they "endorse".  WTF?!?!  I don't want your opinion, I want the news.  I want facts!


I believe in the right to life but that is my, PERSONAL, CHOICE! I don't think it is the Government's job to tell a woman what she can and can not do with her own body.  SHE is the person who must live with the consequences of her choices.  SHE is the one who has to answer to a higher authority...one much higher than the Government of the United States!  The fact that this has been a hot-topic in elections for more than 30 years is maddening!  


I believe a person should be allowed to choose their life partner and not have to hide his/her choice in a closet.  I don't think it is my business what a person does with their own life's choices as long as they are a law-abiding, contributing members of society.  


I believe in term limits!  What is up with being able to be a Representative until death do you part?!?!  No wonder nothing changes, its the same old boys club until the end of time.  When one dies off, his son or wife takes his spot.  URGH!!!


I believe in our military but I feel, in this day and age, their interests are best served focusing on protecting OUR freedoms and not trying to force immature nations into thinking our way.  Unfortunately, too many of our brothers and sisters have died trying to get the rest of the world on board with our way of thinking.  This is not their way of life, this is not about politics but rather a 2000+ year war about religion. I say, bring safely home our brothers and sisters.  Then, PRAISE them, HONOR them when they step foot back on sovereign soil!  But, we do not take demands from terrorists and we do not roll over and play dead so, when the world ASKS for help (and you know they will), THEN step up to the plate and be the LEADER of the free world!   

I believe the United States of America is the greatest nation in the world.  Ours is a country, beautiful and rich in resources, industry and physical appeal.  It is a great place to live.  I understand why we are the melting-pot of the world and why people flock to our shores to get in.  But, I also believe there should be rules to how one gets in.   I do not believe an illegal alien deserves the same rights as me.  I do not believe they should be protected under our laws until they have become a citizen (through proper channels), who is dedicated to those laws.  I believe they should be required to read, speak and understand our language.  I do not see Americans able to immigrate into any other country in the world, illegally, and have granted all the rights of that countries citizens.  I am the daughter of an immigrant.


Yes, Democrats still hold 2/3s of Government.  But, how much is actually going to move forward if people just stick to party lines and vote with the party?  A GREAT President is able to reach across the aisle.  Reagan was good at this.  Even Clinton did well.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with party politics.  The President of the United States should be party-less, he is elected by the people! In my personal opinion, in the end, this one will fail miserably.  


I respect the office but I don't like the man. The current President certainly is charismatic.  But, he is "all hat and no cattle".  I think his promise of Hope and Change went down the toilet about two minutes into his Inauguration speech, when he already set himself up for a re-election run..."they will not be met in a short span of time".  Bye-bye Hope.  And, WHEN can I expect Change, if not in 4 years?  I don't believe in much of what he has done in the last 2years and according to his own speech, I know not to expect much more in the next 2 years.  Do I think we have to get out of debt, yes!  But, I don't think putting us TRILLIONS of dollars more in debt is going to help.  Do I think our health care system needs reformed, absolutely!  But, taking away the choice of business owners and individuals and forcing the medical profession into something so lop-sided is not the way to go about it.  Do I want a doctor who is my pick of the draw, NOT the BEST of the BEST working on me..nope!  I am a contributing member of society.  I have no problems working hard to "earn" something better for myself.  I also have no issues giving to those less fortunate.  But, I am not willing to work hard to give a free-loader a leg up, either.  Against his own Inauguration speech words, he is failing miserably because he has not, "remained faithful to the ideals of our forebears and true to our founding documents." 


Whether you want to believe it or not, The Constitution is our country's governing document.  They are our "10 Commandments", to put it in basic terms (I KNOW there are more than 10 amendments).  You don't like it, change it.  That's the beauty of being an American.  You have a right to your opinion, its the FIRST Amendment, even IF you don't vote (but shame on you if you don't!).


So, Mr. (and yes, it is still mostly Mr.) Politician.  Don't assume we are all stupid.  Don't assume we can't read, research and form educated opinions.  Don't assume we don't know and understand The Constitution of the United States.  Don't assume we will always take the easy road and vote for you because you carry the "title" of our chosen party.  I will not stand idly by and have "taxation without representation".  You work for ME, not the other way around.

No comments: