Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I suck!

I have decided I pretty much just suck at blogging!  I can chat up a storm. I can Facebook with the best of them.  But, when I (occassionally) come to my blog, I end up just staring blankly at the screen.  Why is it I worry so much about what to say, when it comes time to post something.....anything!  I guess I really do care what people think of me.  I guess it matters to me that I have something AMAZING to say, if I am going to go to the effort of writing an "article".  Who wants to know how many snotty noses I cleaned up today?  Who gives a flying patoot how many times I yelled at my children to stop kicking the table while they "sit on your butt and eat your dinner!"?  Who cares that I quit my job of nearly 5 years for something different....wait, what?!?!

Yep, I got a new job!!!  Woohooo.  Yeahhhhhh meeeee!  I am nervous about moving on.  I am nervous about starting over.  I will miss some of my peers.  Yet, I am excited for the new adventure.

Now that I have given the standard, 2-weeks notice, I have no idea what to do with my days.  It's not like I feel the need to start new projects.  It's not like I plan to take on any huge initiatives.  It's not like I am going to negotiate pricing and terms with vendors I won't be around to keep in compliance.  I spent the day I gave notice cleaning my office, clearing my computer of all "personal" stuff and generally dotting all i's and crossing all t's because I didn't know if I would just be flat out asked to get out of the building.  Needless to say, I was so efficient I now have nothing to do but interview and try to find my replacement.  Can you say BORED!  B-O-R-E-D, BORED!!!

My boss didn't even make an announcment to the staff that I was leaving.  Mind you, I am literally the "Second in Command" around here, and I had to make the announcement myself.  I didn't get a thank you, we will miss you, how will we ever survive without you.  I got a "well, we will just keep moving along like we always will."  Literally!  After nearly 5 years of blood, sweat, 12 hour days-six days a week and tears (all literally), that is what the staff heard him say to me.  I was really nervous and upset to walk in and tell him I was moving on.  I felt bad for him after I left the office that Friday afternoon.  But, after a Monday morning that started like that....now, I feel no obligation to do much of anything. 

I am going to stick it out the full two weeks because I am a professional and I follow through on my word.  I am going to document, to the best of my abilities, everything I do so whomever takes over will have an easy-enough time of filling the void I will be leaving.  I am going to get all my employees lined up as best I can because I feel a personal pull towards most of them and truly care that my leaving is as minimally catastrophic as it can be.

When it comes to blogging, yep, I pretty much suck.  But, I guess it's ok because being a good person means I don't suck at much else!  :)

2 comments:

MelBel said...

I love you! You're a great person.

Jenn said...

Yeah you! But what is the new job??